Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Prince - When Doves Cry

I'm sitting here listening to the most perfect pop song ever written. It's bringing back some serious memories - the pulsing simple drumbeat, the complete lack of a bassline and more importantly THAT melody.

When i was in year 3 at Flagstaff Hill Primary in the Adelaide hills, I remember a corridor next to our homeroom that we all hung out in during recess and lunch. It had a boombox that kids would come and put their fave tunes on. My parents bought me this wild double cassette best of 1980 whatever, and this song was doing me in. I would listen to it on repeat - rewind, listen, rewind, listen. That and "Pass the Dutchie" by Musical Youth.

It was so raunchy, if I even knew what that word meant then - I just knew that it was different and it made me feel really weird inside when he said "touching" and "kisses"............sexy. I sauntered up to the boombox and dropped this shit on this bunch of children.

Listen to it now. The crazy intro octave guitar sounds like it would break a child in half. i sat back and waited for the same adulation that usually accompanied kids putting on various Disney tracks and whatever goddawful pop hit was on the radio.

I remember everyone staring at me like I had a booger coming out of my nose. "Touch if you will my stomach"... they were completely dumbfounded. Touching? What the fuck is this song? i was always weird but after this, people stopped asking me to be on their soccer team. I remember a moment when everyone was going to play soccer the day after and i was resplendent in a horrible green and gold adidas tracksuit with glasses and dunlop volleys on, and the motherfuckers completely thwarted me. Sorry. There's too many people on the field, and you played that "touching song" yesterday.

This song changed my life. For real. I think it's my favourite song of all time.

1 comment:

  1. haha - great story Simon.. cheers

    yes, its a brilliant song no doubt.. i also have memories-it was 84.. pass the dutchie was 82 i think.. I loved the whole Purple Rain album.. i got it again recently.. and i still think its brilliant..
    i purchased his earlier tapes after purple rain came out..I was a big fan of Dirty Mind as well. now there's a dirty song...haha..
    classic..

    ReplyDelete